The link to the picture is not complete

Oct 11, 2011 at 1:32 AM

I am attemptinng to use the Helferlein Form (version 02.02.03) to create a way for our registered users to submit short articles about themselves and upload pictures.  I think the simplicity of this form, the fact that the upload system does not expose the users to the file system on the server, and the easy system for moderating submissions make it just about perfect for this job.  

However, there are two problems.

The first is small: It is anoying that the file names are changed to meaningless strings of characters. Is there anything that can be done to avoid that? 

The second problem is huge: The link to the picture is not complete. The path to the file is - C:\inetpub\wwwroot\oursite\Portals\0\helferlein_Form_ReceivedFiles. In order to work, the URL should be -  http://connect.ourcompany.com/oursite/Portals/0/helferlein_Form_ReceivedFiles/afcd74e2-0341-47b0-80c7-240ee82b16df.jpg. Instead, it is - http://connect.ourcompany.com/Portals/0/helferlein_Form_ReceivedFiles/ff7929a5-34f1-43d4-b9a3-1f2c7386135e.jpg . In other words, the "oursite/ " portion is being omitted.

I am using DNN 6.0, and I have tried to verify if Ajax is part of the problem, but I can't find where Ajax would be enabled/disabled on DNN 6.0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM

millerj,

thanks for pointing this out. I will fix that in an upcoming version.

Best wishes
Michael

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Oct 12, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Thank you!

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2011 at 5:11 AM

millerj,

Problem1: I wanted to avoid file overwrites, so I renamed the uploaded file names to a GUID. Maybe it is worth to put some effort in a future version to keep the original filename somehow, but I do not see this as an urgent problem.

Best wishes
Michael

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Thank you Michael!

I really do agree with you, and (personally) I do not see any need to change.

As I work to create this website, which will be used by a large number of people with different levels of technical experience, I am trying to be prepared for the comments and criticisms I am (almost guaranteed) to get.

Your answer is a perfect reply to anyone who asks about the names on their file uploads.

Thank you again for providing an excellent product!

Jan Miller

Business Systems Analyst

Bay Ltd.

361-693-2160

Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2011 12:12 AM
To: Miller, Janis
Subject: Re: The link to the picture is not complete [helferleinform:275381]

millerj,

Problem1: I wanted to avoid file overwrites, so I renamed the uploaded file names to a GUID. Maybe it is worth to put some effort in a future version to keep the original filename somehow, but I do not see this as an urgent problem.

Best wishes
Michael

Coordinator
Nov 1, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Jan,

please download version 2.2.6 which fixes this issue.

Best wishes
Michael

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Thank you!!

Jan Miller

Business Systems Analyst

Bay Ltd.

361-693-2160

Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:49 AM

Jan,

Best wishes
Michael

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Wow! Awesome!

Thank you so much – Completely fixed!

Jan Miller

Business Systems Analyst

Bay Ltd.

361-693-2160

Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:49 AM

Jan,

Best wishes
Michael