validation error

Jan 5, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Using your module on angeloakpet.com>Forms. Some of the people using the form are getting this error:

"Invalid postback or callback argument. Event validation is enabled using <pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@ Page EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page. For security purposes, this feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate from the server control that originally rendered them. If the data is valid and expected, use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method in order to register the postback or callback data for validation."

I looked this up but it is beyond my level of knowledge. Any help, please?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jan 8, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Hi,

do you have something like "<Choose one...>" in a dropdown list? If so, ASP.Net detects the angle brackets and consideres a possible scripting attack. You may use <pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in your web.config (which is the DNN default), or change the value of the dropdown list to "[Choose one...]".

Anyway, this is more a problem of you configuration than of the module itself. Please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/system.web.ui.page.enableeventvalidation.aspx for further information. Remember that some providers do not allow to overwrite certain configuration settings by the web.config file. If changing the value in the web.config does not help, please contact your hosting provider.

Best wishes
Michael

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I have a dropdown list, but no entry with any brackets.

I am hesitant to follow the solution suggested, as the safety note does specify that this is a security feature. Especailly since I do not have brackets, so I am unsure if this is the cause...

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Hi,

it has to do something with the ASP.Net configuration. If you can't change this behaviour by changing the setting in your web.config, it could be that your hosting provider does not allow to overwrite it. Another method is to directly place the setting to a page, so there might be something in another module on this page or the page skin.

Best wishes
Michael