Email sending error - User name prepended to email address

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I have noticed in DNN 5.6 and DNN 6.0.1 that when I select either any admin or host account in the Sender drop-down list (Under E-Mail options in the Form Settings), that the form throws a "Error when sending the email. Please try again later." When I review the Event Viewer, I see a message that "user name email@domain.com" address is invalid, so somehow the user name for these email accounts is being prepended to the email address and causing the error.

This does NOT happen when I select Portal Administrator OR the sender's email from the form.

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Please check your portal administrator's and your host's email addresses - I am quite sure they are email@domain.com, and therefore you can't use them...

Best wishes
Michael

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Hi – Thanks for the reply. I tried several valid email addresses including the host email address (on the most recent site, no-reply@domain.com). Here are all of my settings and the error in case it helps:

In Host Details, no-reply@domain.com is the Host Email, and it is also the email I am using for the SMTP account (tested & good)

The <Client User> account email is contactus@domain.com

The ZM Admin user account email is no-reply@domain.com

Admin | Site Settings | Security Settings, I set the Client User Admin account (w/ Admin privileges) as the Administrator. I assume this is where the “Portal Administrator” admin email comes from.

Under Email Options in the Form Settings, I have these choices:

Portal-Administrator – This works

Client User (A) – this doesn’t work – Event view shows

ZM Admin (A) – this doesn’t work

Host – haven’t tried

ZM Host (H) – haven’t tried

Email (F) – This works

Using ZM Admin from dropdown displays this error in the Event Viewer:

DefaultDataProvider: DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider, DotNetNuke.SqlDataProvider

ExceptionGUID: 67f5bdae-476c-4f43-8ac6-f03e10d024ca

InnerException: The email address (ZM Admin<no-reply@domain.com>) is not in a valid format.

FileName:

FileLineNumber: 0

FileColumnNumber: 0

Method:

StackTrace:

Message: System.ArgumentException: The email address (ZM Admin<no-reply@domain.com>) is not in a valid format.

Using Client User from dropdown displays:

DefaultDataProvider: DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider, DotNetNuke.SqlDataProvider

ExceptionGUID: 67f5bdae-476c-4f43-8ac6-f03e10d024ca

InnerException: The email address (Client User<contactus@domain.com>) is not in a valid format.

FileName:

FileLineNumber: 0

FileColumnNumber: 0

Method:

StackTrace:

Message: System.ArgumentException: The email address (Client User< contactus@domain.com>) is not in a valid format.

Coordinator
Jan 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Hi,

I guess this is a problem with the DNN core - have you checked the email validation string in the user settings? Does it allow a dash? ("-")?

Best wishes
Michael