How to put field name above field?

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Hi, I'm trying to create a contact form using helferlein form, and I need to put the field name for each item above the field, not on the same line. eg for the 'Name' text box, I need  the title 'Name' to appear on the line above the actual text box.

Please could you tell me how to do this?

Thanks very much,

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:05 AM

Hi again, I also have another problem! How can I change the text that appears after the form has been submitted? At the moment it displays 'Form submitted' and I would like to change that.

Is there a help file or instruction manual somewhere that would tell me how to do stuff like this?

Thanks for your help.

Coordinator
Oct 3, 2011 at 2:20 PM

ch123,

please read the documentation that you can find here.

To your first question, this is a matter of templating. Read the sections about templates in the form settings, and the templates in the different form items. Feel free to ask, if you have questions after reading.

Your second question is easy to answer. You can add a page to your portal which is not included in the menu. There you may add an HTML/Text module or whatever you use and so you are able to write whatever you want. Choose that page in the form settings under Submission Settings :: Redirect Url.

Best wishes
Michael

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:28 AM

Thanks very much for your reply Michael. I've had a look at the documentation for form settings, but am still struggling.

In the section for form item template it says the default is :

<tr valign="top">
   <td>[PENCIL][LABEL]></td>
   <td>[FORMITEM][VALIDATOR]></td>
   <td>[REQUIREDIMAGE]></td>
</tr>

so I thought all I need to do is add a <tr></tr>  around the label and then around the formitem and required image, to make them appear on different rows. So I put this in the form item template box on my form :

<tr valign="top">
   <td>[PENCIL][LABEL]></td>
</tr>
<tr valign="top">
<td>[FORMITEM][VALIDATOR]></td> <td>[REQUIREDIMAGE]></td> </tr>

But this displays all the html on the actual form.

I'm sorry to sound so stupid, but as you can tell I have no idea how to modify templates in dnn modules! Please could you tell me exactly what to type in the form item template box to get the label to display on the row above the form item?

Thanks very much for your help.

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2011 at 1:44 PM

ch123,

you can use the "non-table" example from the examples. This should work.

Anyway, if you do it with a table, you should do it like this in the Form Settings, and leave the templates for the items empty:

Form Header Template:

<table width="100%" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" border="0">
   <colgroup>
      <col width="99%">
      <col width="1%">
   </colgroup>

Form Item Template:

<tr valign="top">
   <td colspan="2">[PENCIL][LABEL]></td>
</tr>
<tr valign="top">
   <td>[FORMITEM][VALIDATOR]></td>
   <td>[REQUIREDIMAGE]></td>
</tr>

Form Footer Template (you can leave this empty as it is the default):

</table>

Label Template:

<tr>
   <td colspan="2">[PENCIL][FORMITEM]</td>
</tr>

Best wishes
Michael

Oct 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Hi Michael, thanks very much for your help, this has worked well!

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:21 PM

I just downloaded the latest version and the Header and Footer Template input is a one line text-box.  Do I have to enter all of the code I want in the header on one line?  The Item Template input is a multi-line input, so why isn't the Header and Footer?

Am I missing something?

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2011 at 7:18 PM

djamell,

yes. As I pointed out in your other post with the same question...

Best wishes
Michael