Error upgrading 1.5.0 to 2.2.0

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:50 AM

I get an SQL error message when trying to upgrade helferlein_Form from version 1.4.1 or 1.5.0 to 2.2.x. DNN version is 5.6.1.

First I tried to upgrade directly from 1.4.1 to 2.2.5, using the installation package. Prior to that I installed helferlein Babelfish 1.1.2 without problems. But the upgrade of helferlein Form to version 2.2.5 failed with the error message:

Start SQL Execution: File 02.00.00.SqlDataProvider
The SQL excution caused the following error: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN failed because column 'FormItemUniqueLabelPerForm' does not exist in table 'helferlein_FormItem'...

After that, I tried to upgrade in smaller steps: The upgrade from 1.4.1 to 1.5.0 went without problems, but the next upgrade to 2.2.0 failed with the message:

Start SQL Execution: File 02.00.00.SqlDataProvider 
The SQL excution caused the following error: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid column name 'FormItemLabel'... (followed by VERY long error message which I can provide if required)

What am I doing wrong? I have several helferlein Forms on my live DNN installation, so I don't want to uninstall/reinstall!

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Does the module work with SQL 2005 ?

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Yes, I've run this module on SQL 2005 and SQL 2008 and anything from DNN 4.x/DNN 5.x/DNN 6.x without any major problems.

Coordinator
Nov 1, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Hi, sorry for the delayed answer, I spent some free days... :-)

I cannot reproduce the error. I installed DNN 5.6.1 on a test web site, and then installed helferlein_Form 1.4.1, added some form items. installed helferlein_BabelFish 1.1.2 and upgraded to helferlein_Form 2.2.4 - ran without any problem.

Can you provide the {objectQualifier}helferlein_FormItem table structure before you start the upgrade (1.4.1 or 1.5.0 does not matter, as there were no database changes)? You can use the following script under Host :: SQL for this:

SELECT COLUMN_NAME, IS_NULLABLE, DATA_TYPE, CHARACTER_MAXIMUM_LENGTH
FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS
WHERE TABLE_CATALOG = 'Test' AND TABLE_NAME = '{objectQualifier}helferlein_FormItem'
ORDER BY ORDINAL_POSITION

Thanks!

Michael

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Hello Michael,

thank you for your answer! In the meantime, I could upgrade helferlein Form on another DNN installation, so I don't think the reported error is caused by your module. I remember that I had a related problem some months ago when I tried to upgrade the Events module, so I think that this DNN installation might by damaged somehow (although everything seems to work).

Anyhow, here is the table structure of the DNN installation where the error occurred:

COLUMN_NAME IS_NULLABLE DATA_TYPE CHARACTER_MAXIMUM_LENGTH
PortalID NO int  
ModuleID NO int  
FormItemID NO int  
FormItemType NO int  
FormItemValue YES ntext 1073741823
FormItemSelectedValue YES ntext 1073741823
FormItemLabel YES nvarchar 255
FormItemRepeatColumns YES int  
SortValue NO int  
Required NO bit  
Width YES int  
Height YES int  
FormItemLinkTarget YES int  
FormItemHelpText YES nvarchar 255
Coordinator
Nov 4, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Well... it seems that you have used the old SQL Server 2000 version and upgraded to SQL Server 2005 somewhen without reading the instructions for upgrading from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005 on my old site (which disappeared due to a hard disk crash some months ago).

If you send me an email (and I suspect you are member of the German Usergroup, so you can use the Private Messages there, send to username "Maikl"), I can offer you some support to upgrade the module without loosing data.

Another way would be uninstall and reinstall version 02.02.06, but then you will loose data.

Best wishes
Michael